Tuesday, February 22, 2011
The Progression
So I had a Drs appointment today. I don't have an assigned OB doctor, I don't know if that is a hospital/army thing or because I came to them so far along and every appointment I've had has been scheduled for whenever they have something free. I don't mind not having a set Dr, it really doesn't make a difference to me, but it does mean that I often have to answer the same questions week after week. This week I had a very nice, but overly concerned female Capt. She was very friendly and answered the questions I had, which the last Dr wasn't so good at. She looked through my records and saw that my gestational diabetes score was a little high and that I had never taken the 3 hour test. My Dr back in SC didn't think I needed to take it because my levels weren't that high and I had no other signs, symptoms, or any of the risk factors. He advised me to watch my sugar intake and said not to worry about it. Today my doctor was very concerned that I hadn't taken the 3 hour test, but it was too late to take it now, so instead she has written in my file that I need glucose testing while I'm in labor. I have no idea why I need testing while in labor, if I'm about to have the baby why does it matter then? Next thing I feel she overreacted about....she measured my belly and discovered that I'm measuring at 36 weeks instead 38. She is worried the baby is too small (which I find really funny since 5 mins prior she was worried about gestational diabetes which makes the baby big). I'm a small girl and it's only 2 weeks! Anyway, I have a ultrasound appointment for Thursday to check Eliana's growth and the fluids, which isn't really a bad thing as I get to see her again. Now as far as how things are progressing, I'm dilated to about a 2, "kinda thick", and the doctor said "I can feel her head right there..." I'm not really sure what "right there" means, but that's what she said.
Dave is really hoping Eliana comes soon. He leaves for field training on Tuesday. He will be allowed to come back if I go into labor, but he will be about an hour away, so it will take a little bit of time to get back. My mom is coming in on Mon to stay with me while Dave is gone and for a few weeks after Eli arrives, so I won't be all alone for the week Dave is in the field.
I think we are ready for her arrival whenever it comes....though I still have to finish packing the hospital bag. It seems very surreal that we will be parents very soon and that after waiting so long we will have our little angel here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yes, yes, yes. Military doctors can be quite bothersome. My dad was a Marine, so I had no idea that when "civilians" go to the doctor they always see the same one. My dad did, however, request a certain one for a while every time he made an appointment. I'm sure you could do that if there's one you prefer over others. Also, about the Gestational Diabetes thing. I had borderline counts and the 3-hour test. I used a low-carb (that's where you get all your sugars from. I didn't know that before) diet for the last few weeks. It helped with my energy levels a LOT. They just want to test your glucose levels while you're in labor because you can't have anything to eat or drink--they don't want your sugar levels to get to low because then you won't have any energy to push out your little baby! Although your doctor does seem a little over-protective, it's better to have a watchful eye instead of a careless one. :) Good luck! I hope she comes soon! Little newborns are the sweetest little things! Congrats! (Sorry this is so long)
Each doctor is so different, so I would just take it in stride. At my clinic, I can choose a particular doctor, but whoever was on call would deliver the baby, so I would try to see them all at least once ~ some were SO much better than others. Good luck to you!! Love her name :)
Post a Comment