Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome to the world Eliana!

Our little one is finally here! She arrived on Thursday night at 11:18. Weighed in at 7 pounds and 19 1/4 inches long. She was perfectly healthy and scored a perfect 8 of 8 on her APGAR.

Now the story, don't worry it's actually not one of those scary labor stories, but if you don't want to read I understand just skip to the bottom for pics...

So backing up a bit my Mom arrived on Mon because Dave would be in the field and I didn't want to be alone in case Eliana decided it was time to come. Dave left Tuesday morning for the field.

I had my weekly dr appointment on Thursday morning and we were kinda hoping that when he checked my cervix I would be far enough a long to send me straight to labor and delivery, but I wasn't. I was almost a 4 and about 60% effaced. So mom and I went back home to continue our wait for the big day. I called Dave to report to him what the dr said and he found out he could come home for a couple hours to shower. When Dave got home we decided to go for a walk together...who knows it might start something right? As we left I had been feeling some mild cramps for about the last, but I felt the same thing last week after my pelvic exam and it was nothing. I told mom and Dave about them because they did seem to be coming at regular intervals. Dave timed them for our entire walk and they were actually only about 2 min apart. I figured they were just practice because they didn't hurt at all, but after calling the dr to see what he said (he told me to call at any signs because he suspected I wouldn't have strong labor signs as I had yet to feel a single contraction but was dilated so far). The receptionist who answered didn't even ask the dr she said to come in just to see. So off we went to the hospital...Dave sure we would be having a baby that night and me sure that they would be laughing at this silly pregnant women who "thought" she was labor but really just had gas. I even made Dave leave our bags in the car. As you already know Dave was right. When the nurse checked my cervix again I was a 5 almost 6 (just 4 hours later). Because I still wasn't feeling my contractions, the dr wanted to speed things up by breaking my water and/or starting some pitocin. We decided to try breaking my water first...after an hour of monitoring still nothing. On to the pitocin....almost immediately I had 3 stronger contractions in a row back to back...still not really painful, but no longer able to ignore them. Eliana didn't like the pitocin much either and I had to lay on my side and wear an oxygen mask to get her heart rate back up. My concept of time after this point was completely gone, but the pitocin was started somewhere between 6 and 6:30. The contractions were getting stronger, but I was feeling unsure about getting a epidural. I had always planned on having epidurals during labor, but why get one if the pain wasn't bad and they tend to slow things down. I felt really conflicted, what if the contractions got even stronger and I couldn't handle the pain anymore? but what if I don't really need it? I asked Dave to give me a blessing hoping it would bring me comfort and help me come to an answer. It was comforting, but I didn't get an answer, it said that if I got the epidural the drs hands would be steady and if I didn't the pain would be bearable. I took this to mean that the decision was mine and mine alone and either way would be ok. I felt confident that I could do this without an epidural and had faith that I could indeed bear the pain. So on we went, the contractions getting stronger and closer together. Somewhere around 10 or so I was ready to start pushing. Unfortunately for me, my cervix wasn't quite effaced to 100% and the dr wanted me to wait. I spent the next 45 min (so mom says) breathing through the contractions and trying to avoid the urge to push as much as possible. Also at this time I was allowed to get off my side and labor in a sitting position which surprisingly made my pain tolerance go up. Finally I was allowed to push, but the dr wanted me to stretch more so as I pushed the nurse stretched and messaged me to help prevent tears. I guess the dr thought I would still take awhile because he left the room, but after 4 or 5 pushes Eliana was here (delivered by my nurse). They placed her on my chest and I got my first look at our little girl. I did still have a few tears, just small ones along the sides (the dr called them skid-marks) so while I got stitched up they took Eliana to weigh and measure her and all those other test they do right away. Dave left my side for the first time in quite awhile to go watch. Speaking of, he was really great during labor. He stood by my side and held my hand through every contraction and he was the one who really got me through the time I wasn't allowed to push. I'm sure I couldn't have done it drug free without his love and support. Anyway, it was a long night, but when it was over we had our baby and both her and I were healthy.

OK now for some pics...







Our first family photo!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

What a wonderful experience!! So glad she is here safe and you are both doing well! She is beautiful!!

Nighmom said...

Thanks for sharing the whole story! You are a champ, Lisa!