Well...time for another update on the Nigh life. Today's accompanying picture is a little bit ironic because I feel like anything but an unrelenting machine. More to follow on that. So, when we last left our heroes, they had just purchased a brand new dryer. Well, life hasn't been quite so exciting since then. Monday, I worked in Master Control...which was disastrouswhich I suppose is exciting, but not the kind that one usually likes. I forgot to change over the satellite feed to pick up the network promos for the rest of Monday and any other times that we needed them. I rolled a break two minutes late during the today show. I rolled the full break and didn't cut back to network until that full two minutes had rolled straight into HotaKotb and Kathy Lee's interview with Martin Short. Oh well. The good news is, I have it on good authority that I will not be in master control for the next two weeks...oh, except for this Saturday. But, after that...all broadcasters in New York can rest easy. I won't be cutting out parts of your show here in Eau Claire.The days following Monday have been tough in terms of feeling well rested. Getting up at 3 is much harder after you've been getting up at 6. I have yet to recover. Thursday and Friday were both master control days, Saturday and Sunday I didn't have work and then Monday was master control again. So...it has been a little tough.
Last night was young men's. I had to go in for a meeting at 6 which culminated with yet another excruciating Boy Scout meeting. Thankfully, I've learned that if I allow myself to drift off into my own world but remember to smile and nod or grumble with sounds of approval that the meetings go just a tiny bit smoother and faster. Yet another reason why I would never make a good politician.
So...after the meeting, we had a combined young men/young women's activity..."combined" being sort of a loose term here. We played ultimate frisbee, which was an absolute blast! However...after playing for no more than three minutes, some of the young men stated their concern that they were going to run someone over and that there should be a division between those who wished to play "competitively" and those who did not. "Competitively" can very easily be replaced by the word "testosterone". So, there was a combined activity only in the sense that there were young women and young men playing the same game...but, on different fields. Anyway...so I gallivanted about running around making my lungs hurt and my muscles sore. I played well, though. After all was said and done, my team had won. If nobody had kept score, I wouldn't have known it, though. I was just playing...when my lungs were able to catch up.
When we adjourned, I let one of the young men drive my scooter. He is only 13, so I sat on back and did the lion's share of the steering. But, all of the observing cub scouts and girls of the equivalent age thought that the H4 was just the coolest thing ever. They all wanted rides and I knew there wasn't enough gas and that Lisa would not have the patience for me to come home late enough to have provided a ride for every kid that wanted one. But, I told them that they could race me as I left the church parking lot. That seemed to be an acceptable trade off. So, off I went and all of the kids just thought that was a riot. So, I am now the champion of the tweenies. So...here is where everything culminates to explain my lack of Terminator-ness. Since Tuesday night, I have accumulated a rather persistent cold. Not one that is debilitating in any way...but, just like carrying a backpack full of bricks that I can't take off...it is slowing me down. So...after playing ultimate frisbee like I'm still a 16-year-old while my body is battling a cold and while I am loosing sleep like I'm still a single college kid (or an engaged college kid, for that matter), my body is ready to put in for a full weekends worth of unconciousness...too bad I will be in master control. Bring on the overtime!
No comments:
Post a Comment