So...anyone else that is yawning and rubbing their sore eyes from a lost precious hour of sleep knows the reason for the hostility towards daylight savings. Of course, it didn't help much that this past week I worked in master control and didn't have to get up until 6...add to that getting up at 3 (2, if you ask my body). But...I have not allowed myself to nap at all today, with the exception of crashing on the bed while I waited for Lisa to get ready so we could come here to the library. But, that was really more of a doze than a nap. Certainly not enough to prevent me from slipping off the face of consciousness when I hit the hay tonight.
Our weekend was fabulous! On Saturday, we did our usual laundry and housekeeping. After this, we reviewed our benefits packages for NBC and for Target and I filled out the paperwork for mine. When I finished looking through the 1040 booklet trying to determine the maximum amount that we could get from Uncle Sam, I filled in everything I needed to for our federal return. It looks like we should get a pretty decent check. Hallelujah! The economic stimulus that will be sent a little later will be a Godsend, too. People can say what they want about Bush, but...I've gotten a grant during his presidency and I'll get another handsome check before he's done, too. I'm not going to gripe.
Where was I? Oh yes, the weekend. Saturday evening, Lisa and I went to the ward talent show. What a blast! I got to MC, so I was right in my element. I was able to play my guitar intermittently when people were setting up for their talent. Some of the kids did talents like karaoke, dancing...which was really more like running and flailing around on stage, and singing songs about the 50 Nifty United States and Down by the Bay. But, even though some of the talents were simple and just plain nutty, everyone applauded and cheered. Now...everyone knows what a cantankerous and ornery person I am about people who are disingenuous in action or word and that I frequently tend to doubt people's sincerity, especially after being in Utah where even the most miserable performance gets a standing ovation. But, when everyone was so enthusiastically clapping for each performer, no matter how facile the performance, there was a divine genuineness to it. Certainly everyone recognized that in terms of expecting perhaps a Broadway performance, a Pavarottian rendition of Down by the Bay, or Freddie Mercury and Queen playing Rainbow Connection, the performances (obviously including my own) weren't spectacular. But, with utmost sincerity they encouraged and applauded the performers for their courage to perform in front of a body of people, however familiar. It wasn't the over-enthusiastic standing ovation that made me wish to defiantly fold my arms and refuse to clap, rather it was a loving support that made each act feel better than it really was, for both performer and audience.
In the way of movie reviews, Lisa and I watched My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding. What a hilarious and touching movie that was! I told Lisa that this movie was a point of discussion in my film program at BYU. Frequently the topic of "Mormon cinema" was addressed. Teachers would ask us what we thought Mormon cinema should or could be. They felt this question was especially pertinent since we were prospective LDS filmmakers and it applied particularly because of the fact that our religion (ideally) is inextricably connected with who we are and would have to find a place within our craft. This was also viewed in light of the fact that films like Single's Ward and The R.M. are definitely about Mormon culture and even touch somewhat in the realm of belief. But, they aren't films that are explicitly LDS that are accessible to people who are not. There are all sorts of decidedly LDS nuances that are palatable and humorous to us because we understand them. So, the market has been attenuated. Instead, our teachers encouraged us to express what it means to be Mormon in a way that is accessible to a broader human experience. It would have to be specific, of course, because that is what makes a film great and enjoyable: specificity. If you are too universal, the film will feel preachy and few will like it. Big, Fat, Greek Wedding did this beautifully. Greek Orthodoxy was a major figure in this movie. But, it was very approachable. It didn't make references to things that I couldn't understand. It didn't make me feel stupid by trying to "teach" me about Greek Orthodoxy. Rather it opened itself up and allowed me to see at least a part of what a Greek family is like and think of it whatever I chose. It was a really neat film. As an aside, Alonzo said that the family was spot on Greek. Almost exactly like his family.
Well...I have carried on and on and on. There will be more news tomorrow, I'm sure. Lisa and I are doing well, we are happy and healthy (no flu yet...YAY!). We hope to hear from everyone. Lots of love. Happy sleep recovery.
No comments:
Post a Comment