Thursday, March 27, 2008

From the Batcave


Well, it has been a little while since the last update. Apologies to those of you (Mom) who have been waiting for such with baited breath and have been disappointed. I guess life just has not been all that exciting of late.

In home news, we have decided to christen our little scooter. I went to visit Lisa while she was at work at Target yesterday since I was done at 3 and she would not be done until 6:30. Well, Lisa and I picked up a few items while she was on her break. I already had a few things in the seat of the scooter and Lisa asked if she wanted to put the groceries in the car or if I could take them with me in the scooter. I said, "Oh sure, the H4 can handle it." So there you have it. Hummer's latest creation: our little scooter. Not exactly all terrain, but it is a funny little name for our inner city cruiser.

At work, I have been doing shifts in master control. Master control is essentially, in a watered down way of describing it, watching TV for eight hours straight. In a more descriptive yet still simple way of stating it, it entails the monitoring of programming (i.e. checking the meter readings on our analog and digital outputs to make sure that everything is where it should be), rolling the local commercial spots, getting shows off of the satellites, clipping up daily shows like Jeopardy, Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune (Jeopardy comes in two days before it airs, so I know who will be the new/returning champion before anyone else even watches it), and during our newscasts, I switch the tapes for the show. It is a lot of work…for just watching TV. The shift is also a bit different from what I’m used to. Instead of the early rising 4 to 12:30, it is 7 to 3. So, it has been nice to “sleep in” until 6 instead of 3. But, I did get up at 3 this morning…and that was a little shock to the system. I’m sure that I will crash pretty quick tonight.

So…I’m sure you are a bit puzzled by the title of this particular entry. Well, puzzle no more. The story goes: because Lisa has been working quite a bit more than before and since her hours conflict somewhat with mine, I have been riding the scooter in to work everyday. My boss, Tom Benson, said that it was okay for me to pull my scooter inside a little garage door just behind the studio. So, that’s what I have been doing. The other day, Tom watched me take off on the scooter and he said that having the little garage made it like me taking off out of the Batcave. But, that’s not where the story ends. So, yesterday when I was home and Lisa was not, I had our whole garage in which to park the H4. Well, when I went to visit Lisa at work and later when I took off for the library I had to be innovative. See, we only have one garage door opener and that stays with Big Papa (AKA the Buick). So, what I’ve been doing is unlocking our door to the garage, opening the garage, pulling out the H4, going back in to shut the garage door and then locking and closing the door to the garage behind me and finally getting on the scooter and taking off for wherever I need to go. Well, this time I decided to try something. I backed the scooter up to the garage door button and started the engine. I pressed the button and gunned the H4 and went flying out under the closing garage door! Now that was a Batcave experience! I almost couldn’t stop laughing after I had done it. Lisa said she isn’t sure if she wants to watch me do it or not…since she isn’t sure she wants to know how close I get to being clothes-lined by the door. I don’t really know…all I know is: I made it and it is really fun. So there you have it: the Batcave title and the included picture.

Anyway…I hope that this update has been satisfying and amusing. Until next time…same Bat time…same Bat channel!

2 comments:

Nighmom said...

I am not certain that I would like to see you try and beat the closing garage door, either. But, I am your mom.

Jamie said...

I, for one, would love to see it. And try it. :)
And Dave, your mom isn't the only one who reads your blog; I do too. :)