Thursday, March 6, 2008

If music be the food of love, play on

All continues to go splendidly in the life of Nigh.

Yesterday, whilst in the library going about our daily routine of checking our e-mail, Facebook and other internetly necessities, when my phone rang. It was a 715 number which meant it was either someone from church or someone from work, because there aren't any other people that would call me that have a 715 area code. That is, of course, unless someone was really slow in assuming that I had committed voter fraud...which was also in the distantly doubtful category. So, sure enough it was one of my coworkers, Andrew, asking if I could come in to do audio for the Sunrise, Today and Noon shows since he had to do two weeks worth of his show, Technology Spot. Seeing as I really wanted to be able to get to the plasma center and still get Lisa to her training meeting on time, I did not hesitate in benevolently accepting this responsibility.

After gathering some lovely weekend reading material (AKA 1040s, their accompanying instruction booklet, and another couple of necessary tax forms) we hurried back home to throw together a meal for the Elders who were coming over at 5:30. Well, as was mentioned in Lisa's blog yesterday, we were preparing to feed four mouths aside from our own. So, I pulled out the table leaves and spread a table for six. The Elders arrived shy a pair, which was fine by me, especially since thanks to the unexpectedly lower attendance I was able to have some meaty spaghetti for my lunch today. Leftovers, yum! We had a lovely visit and the Elders and I promptly excused ourselves to run to the chapel for meetings we were all going to be late for.

What meeting you ask? Well, I can't imagine that I need to narrow it down too much. It was a weekday evening around 7ish. Yes, you guessed it. I was recently called as the Young Men's Secretary. For those not familiar...it is basically like the YMCA as it was in its early years. We have all of the young men from our congregation get together during the week for fun, games and (if we're all lucky) some spiritual enlightenment and nourishment as well. My presence was primarily for a meeting with my "boss". We discussed a few items that will be coming up in the not too distant future as well as some possible activities in the future. I cut out after we had dispensed with the opening exercises for the young men/young women. I went home and went pretty much straight to bed.

Thankfully, today I have not been too terribly tired. I was unable to punch out for a break because we were under the impression that the Brett Favre press conference was due to start at 11. We did get word that it was postponed until 11:30...but, I still hadn't punched out in case he showed up early. It was a rather tough thing to watch. I got a little choked up when Brett started crying. It is really weird, but he feels like more than just the star of the state professional football team. He feels a lot more like a neighbor. Much closer than most athletes are in a given community. As the conference cut all the way through what would have been our noon news show, it started to be painful for a different reason. Yes, Brett, we're all going to miss you, but...all I've had to fill my belly since 3 this morning was a bowl of Marshmallow Matey's and a couple of granola bars. By the time the whole shindig was finished, Brett's retirement had been announced halfway into Days of Our Lives. Not a major loss of air time, if you ask me.

After rushing home and grabbing some dinner, we ran over to the plasma center. Just in case I wasn't feeling tired enough...I had a needle pulling blood in and out of me for about an hour. On top of that, after I drop Lisa off at her Target training meeting, I will be honoring my commitment to watch kids in the nursery while the ladies of the ward celebrate the anniversary of the Relief Society. Somebody we know is going to sleep like a rock tonight, give me an Advil and I'll tell you who.

Long story short...today is a long story. It has been really busy and tiring...and I wouldn't change a thing! I like when it's busy. I like having lots to do. Although I shouldn't type that too loud. Someone might think that with this blog, I have discretionary time to fill.

That's how life is on the Nigh side of things. TTFN. Ta ta for now!

2 comments:

Nighmom said...

I am glad that you are finding joy in your busy-ness. Life is good here. We are hanging on to hope for a spring day. "They" are saying that we will have 40's next week! Yahoo. We will bring your scooter up, and perhaps the weather will allow you to use it soon!

Nighmom said...

I am thinking about getting some vinyl lettering for our walls at home. Today's "topic" quote would be a great one for above the piano!